Disability Facts & Statistics
The statistics show that this can happen to you!
* In the last 10 minutes, 498 Americans became disabled. National Safety Council, Injury Facts 2008 Ed.
* In the U.S., a disabling injury occurs every 1 second, a fatal injury occurs every 4 minutes. National Safety Council, Injury Facts 2008 Ed.
* 3 in 10 workers entering the work force today will become disabled before retiring. Social Security Administration, Fact Sheet January 31, 2007
* 1 in 7 workers can expect to be disabled for five years or more before retirement. "Commissioners Disability Table, 1998," Health Insurance Association of America, the New York Times, February 2000
* An illness or accident will keep 1 in 5 workers out of work for at least a year before the age of 65. Life and Health Insurance Foundation for Education, November, 2005
* Unexpected illnesses and injuries cause 350,000 personal bankruptcies each year. "Ilness and Injury as Contributors to Bankruptcy," Health Affairs, February 2, 2005
* Disability causes nearly 50% of all mortgage foreclosures, 2% are caused by death. Health Affairs, The Policy Journal of the Health Sphere, 2 February 2005
* Over 51 million Americans are classified as disabled, representing 18% of the population. U.S. Census Bureau, Public Information Office, November 2008
* Workers today are 3 times more likely to suffer a long-term disability than to die during their working years. The Council of Disability Insurers. Long-Term Disability Claims Review, 2005
* While many people think that disabilities are caused by freak accidents, the majority of long-term absences are due to back injuries and ilnesses, such as cancer and heart disease. Council for Disability Awareness, Long-Term Disability Claims Review, 2007
* The average long-term disability absence last 2.5 years. Commissioner's Individual Disability Table A
* Less than half- 39% of the 2.1 million workers who applied for SSDI benefits in 2005 were approved. Social Security Administration, Office of Disability and Income Security Programs
* The average monthly Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) payment is $1,004, replacing on average, about 33% of your current income. Social Security Administration, Fact Sheet, 2008
* 32% of individuals receiving long-term disability insurance benifits do not qualify for SSDI benefits, and 95% are not eligible for workers' compensation.
* According to the Federal Reserve, 44% of U.S. families spend more than they earn. Federal Reserve Board, Survey of Consumer Finances 2004
* 71% of American employees live from paycheck to paycheck. American Payroll Association, "Getting Paid in America" Survey, 2008
Workplace Injury & Death Statistics
The raw statistics are always startling: In 2009, according to preliminary data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 4,340 workers were killed on the job—an average of 12 workers every day—and an estimated 50,000 died from occupational diseases. More than 4.1 million work-related injuries and illnesses were reported, but this number understates the problem. The true toll of job injuries is two to three times greater—about 8 million to12 million job injuries and illnesses each year. And the cost in dollars alone? The cost of job injuries and illnesses is enormous—estimated at $159 billion to $318 billion a year for direct and indirect costs of disabling injuries.
Chronic Pain Facts & Statistics
Chronic Pain Community Facts and Statistics:
Chronic pain affects an estimated 116 million American adults and costs the nation up to $635 billion each year in medical treatment and lost productivity. - Source: IOM - http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2011/Relieving-Pain-in-America-A-Blueprint-for-Transforming-Prevention-Care-Education-Research.aspx United States Department of Health and Human Services- Source: P.A.N.D.O.R.A.
Disability Facts & Statistics
- 650 million people living with disabilities (“PWD”) worldwide!
- 50+ million PWDs living in the US alone!